SARworld Search & Rescue Forum

SARbot UK

A place to chat about all things SAR related.

SARbot UK

Postby sarworld » 29 Aug 2012, 10:01

We came across this project a little while back but a post spotted on twitter last night has brought our minds back to it.

http://www.sarbot.co.uk/

The project looks good and SARbot are aiming to place 1 team per County initially, going to 4 per county over time.

The question was asked of SARbot by Kris Manning on Twitter last night, would the money needed to achieve this be better used to equip and train existing SAR teams. By using what Kris called 'Established Infrastructure' SARbot could potentially enable the service to be up and running much quicker than building the infrastructure from scratch at what must be a huge cost.

What are your thoughts?
sarworld

Re: SARbot UK

Postby Matt » 29 Aug 2012, 10:31

There is definitely a strong argument for bringing their expertise to existing teams. With ALSAR teams becoming more involved with water and flood work, SARbot UK could be a valuable addition and enhancement to the existing services already offered to the emergency services and local authorities. Perhaps more importantly, the SARbot UK service could by running nationally much quicker as the infrastructure is already in place; the teams are already established; there is an existing link with the local police services etc etc.

I hope that SARbot & ALSAR find a way to discuss the potential benefits that could come of this.
Matt Johnston
Berkshire Lowland Search & Rescue (SEBEV)
ALSAR Association of Lowland Search & Rescue

Anything I write is my own opinion and not that of any team or organisation.
Matt

Postby sarworker » 31 Aug 2012, 16:59

Its an interesting one, but i don't understand why they are not working with the RNLI, Coastguard, ASLAR, MRT, Fire and Rescue Services to supply a bots to teams rather than set up whole new teams. if the maths is correct they are looking at approx 500 million pounds to set this up with as many teams as they are suggesting with all that kit.

It only costs £155 million to run the RNLI, who already have full time teams on the Thames and are in every coastal area.

but maybe i've got it wrong
sarworker

Postby bay4 » 14 Sep 2012, 15:11

Saw this at the Shepherds SAR conference in Bournemouth last year - at that time it was a fire service project looking at Fire & Rescue Services across the country to buy in. I seems a good idea but not sure of the whole new network to deploy it.
Mike Davis
Training Officer for Bay Search and Rescue - Bay SAR
bay4

Postby sarworld » 18 Oct 2012, 11:35

It would appear that SARbot is getting some attention, perhaps not the kind they were looking for.

However this might explain the unwillingness to work with existing teams directly and the desire to define their own structure. It also might explain the various tweets from them about being 'the biggest charity in the UK

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3874276/177606_151319278347570_1311964330_o%20%281%29.jpg

SARbot Rescue‏@SARbot_Rescue

We will be one of the biggest charities in the UK, so take the opportunity of sponsorship early, Mercedes Vans, Nissan, Fords, have

Our new van fitted with blue lights, nice job guys. Thank you.. Please allow a little time to load footage if it... http://fb.me/1AypNA6eQ
sarworld

Postby sarworker » 18 Oct 2012, 16:06

very interesting, bit of a conflict of interest i think.
sarworker

Postby sarworker » 18 Oct 2012, 16:57

What are the rules regarding the fact that they must be supplying the charity, I guessing that as they seem to be quite open about the links between the various companies/charities that there is no legal issues.

What paper/magazine was the article in?
sarworker

Postby davehealey » 19 Oct 2012, 18:00

Our new van fitted with blue lights, nice job guys. Thank you.. Please allow a little time to load footage if it... http://fb.me/1AypNA6eQ

Just going with previous thread which includes lights, this saddens me to see the video - I personally think this just highlights the 'Rogue Teams' philosphy and the fact unregulated Teams can put Search & Rescue on a vehicle.

There intention may be correct, but it's throwing a complete spanner in the works re the use of B&2s and also the Lighting Regs, what is SAR, who will use them !!

Perhaps the best thing for them to do is speak with the local County Fire authority and intergrate it with the Water Rescue Units they all have or would that not work as they only do rescue and not recovery work - which does beg the question is it an emergency if it's a recovery operation ??

Cheers
Dave Healey

This is my view and my view alone, it doesn't represent any Team I was in or any Team I am in at the moment view.

Others are of course allowed their own view which may or may not be the same as me - that's called free speech.
davehealey

Postby sarworker » 21 Oct 2012, 18:23

http://www.keprtv.com/home/video/SARBOT-doesnt-live-up-to-standards-161161175.html

SARBOT doesn't live up to standards

Originally printed at http://www.keprtv.com/home/video/SARBOT ... 61175.html
By Frances Watson July 2, 2012

FRANKLIN COUNTY, Wash. - Franklin County Sheriff deputies ran into problems with its new underwater robot while searching for a drowning victim.

This high tech robot was touted as the cutting edge. The SARBOT could see where dive rescuers could not to find drowning victims or even those fighting to survive.

Gary Stalder has spent 30 years as a lifeguard. He's seen many scares in the river and doesn't think a robot could hold up against the fast flow.

He said, "I thought, man even with the life jacket on with that eddy in the river pulled me down because it had that 20 foot canoe going round in circles."

Dive rescue experts say the fast currents make it almost impossible for the robot to be effective. The murky condition of the river providing almost zero visibility and some may stop and wonder why so much money was spent on such a device."

It's not just the fast currents that are the problem. The SARBOT ran into multiple problems during the search for a recent drowning victim.

The connectors don't seal, allowing water to short out the device.
They must be dried out every time just to get an image on the screen.

Also, there's no GPS to tell operators where they're looking. So if they spot something critical they wouldn't know where to find it. Officers say this is a necessity when searching a river. The robot cost $90,000. So was it a rip-off?

Franklin County Patrol Deputy Darrell Chambers said, "Each tool has its own limitations. We're finding out what those limitations are and it's developing technology. They're going to have little quirks in it."

Gary Stalder would prefer to steer clear of any situation involving the SARBOT.

He continued, "I still wear my life jacket. I make my kids, grandkids, my wife. We all wear life jackets."

Relying on an inexpensive life vest instead of a fancy machine that has yet to prove itself.

The Franklin County Sheriff's Department hopes to better learn how to use the SARBOT for future use. They ultimately want to raise money for the bigger model that has more features and will be better suited for use in the river.
sarworker

Postby Chief » 29 Oct 2012, 15:42

If the underwater connectors don't seal and allow water to enter and short out the device there is a big problem with their SARBOT. I have been using ROV's for 10 years now and have recovered a fair amount of drowning victims. In that time I know of only 1 (yes only 1) victim that was recovered alive by an ROV, and unfortunately he later succumbed to his injuries. To say that these systems are going to 'save thousands' is not only misleading but utterly false. Its as if they are trying to give false hope to people and saying 'buy this' (which puts money in the founders pockets) and we will be able to save your loved one...

Chief
Chief

Postby sarworld » 31 Oct 2012, 09:08

sarworld

Postby sarworker » 31 Oct 2012, 18:01

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=56817897#post56817897

discussion on here as well, interesting that hhaward replied and has since taken his comments down

but they also look to have money troubles http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Cash-crisis-means-police-river-search-robot-Notts/story-17168941-detail/story.html

24,000 a year rent is some place - never new Long Eaton was so expensive
sarworker

Return to General Discussion